What is the Food Distribution Program?

The Food Distribution Program helps people in need get USDA-donated foods as part of the Emergency Food Assistance Program (EFAP) from their local food pantry. The Family Support Division also distributes food to summer food service programs for children, disaster relief, and six non-profit food banks that provide emergency food assistance to food pantries, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, domestic violence shelters, Kid’s Café’s, and other non-profit organizations.

Under certain circumstances, we may also be able to provide donated food for use in:

  • Hospitals
  • Nursing homes
  • Retirement homes
  • Group homes
  • Senior citizen centers
  • Daycare centers
  • Emergency shelters
  • Soup kitchens
  • Sheltered workshops
  • Substance abuse centers
  • Correctional facilities
  • Halfway houses
  • Other charitable institutions

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible for help if you already get public assistance or if your income is less than 125% of the income limit (150% if you are disabled or 60 or older).

How do I get help?

You will need to reach out to your local food pantry or call United Way 211.

Information for Institutions & Organizations

You may be able to get help if you are an institution or organization that distributes food and you:

  • Are public or private non-profit (and exempt from federal tax)
  • Are organized for charitable or welfare purposes
  • Serve meals or distribute USDA-donated foods to people in need
Go top